4 cups whole wheat flour
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
2¼ teaspoons granulated active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoons rolled oats
few pinches of coarse salt
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and yeast. Pour the warm water over the top and using a sturdy wooden spoon, mix until combined. The dough will be shaggy and sticky, this is fine
2. Lightly cover the bowl with a piece of plastic wrap and a kitchen towel.
3. Keep the bowl in a draft-free spot for one hour
Using some olive oil, lightly grease the bottom of a 10 to 12 inch cast iron skillet
4. Sprinkle some extra flour over the top of the dough and with floured hands work the dough out of the bowl and dump it straight into the prepared skillet 5. Give the skillet a shake to distribute the dough or use a wooden spoon to shape it into a round
6. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and allow it to rise once more for just 30 minutes
7. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 400 degrees
8. Brush the top of the dough with about 2 teaspoons of olive oil, score and sprinkle the rolled oats and the coarse salt over the top
9. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until a crusty deep golden brown
Healthy Homemade is inspired by myself and other amazing chefs. This is a place for people to find healthy homemade and semi-homemade recipes.